· Extensive experience with C, C++ and STL, C#, VisualBasic, .NET, Win32, Java, Python, OpenGL, GDI+, VisualStudio, NovodeX Physics SDK, TabletPC SDK, WinTab, OpenCV, Maya, MEL, Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, HTML, XML, PHP, Dreamweaver, Flash.
· Skilled in rapid prototyping interactive graphics and 2D/3D user interfaces.
· Extensive training in fundamentals of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and Usability.
· Proficient videographer, productions include 3D Animation, Music Videos, Short Film Fiction, Documentary, Interactive Flash, TV segment and opening sequences, Advertisements, Visual Effects and Bluescreening.
Masters Thesis - Enriching the Desktop Metaphor with Physics, Piles and the Pen Sept 2004 Jan 2006
· Pioneered novel physically based desktop interface leveraging expressive power and casual nature of real desks.
· Patent pending. Commercialization in progress. Generated industrial interest from top research executives at Microsoft Research, Pixar, XeroxPARC, Alias and SMART Technologies.
peer review scores out of 12
· Designed and implemented a large scale pen driven interactive system incorporating state-of-the-art physics and visualization packages.
Undergraduate Thesis - SuperSkewer 3D Graph Interaction Sept 2003 May 2004
· Developed inexpensive webcam system for 3D tracking of an infrared wand using OpenCV vision package.
· Prototyped suite of interaction techniques for 3D graph interaction, visualization.
Primary Author and Presenter:
· Keepin It Real: Pushing the Desktop Metaphor with Physics, Piles and the Pen. Full paper to appear in ACM CHI 2006.
· The Context-Aware Pill Bottle and Medication Monitor. (primary author/presenter). Presented at Ubicomp 2004 Conference on Ubiquitous Computing.
Secondary Author and Presenter:
· PhylloTrees: Harnessing Nature's Phyllotactic Patterns for Tree Layout. Presented at InfoVis 2004 IEEE Symposium on Information Visualization; EuroGraphics - IEEE Symposium on Visualization
Founder and CEO
· Created a startup based around Masters thesis. Recruited, built and nurtured top tier team from 1 to 16.
· Laid the foundation for vision, product strategy and roadmap. Led business development and technical sales.
· Secured bundling and partnership deals with leading OEMs (HP, Lenovo) and graphics/multi-touch panel manufacturers.
· Attracted $1.65 million of angel and venture capital financing.
Department of Computer Science Teaching Assistant (Human Computer Interaction)
· Led tutorials for 15 graduate and Ph.D. students in course webcast nationwide across many universities.
· Instructed C# and groupware toolkits for rapid prototyping of collaborative software.
InnoVis Research Lab May 2004 July 2004
· Investigated visualizing hierarchical information as naturally occurring fractals.
· Published in premier information visualization conference IEEE InfoVis 2004.
· Developed flexible C# and OpenGL-based interactive software for exploring diverse visualizations.
· Novel approach resulted in optimal packing, intuitive control and aesthetically appealing graphs.
Interactions Research Lab May 2003 Sept 2003
· Prototyped RFID based system for reminding the elderly about medication through SMS, XML and the web.
· Produced first commercially viable product from labs Phidgets hardware prototyping toolkit.
· Developed .NET wrapper, components and skins for COM-based Physical Widgets API.
IASTED - International Association of Science and Technology for Development Summer 2001, 2002
Graphic Designer, Production Engineer, Assistant Publisher
· Designed brochures, conference proceeding covers and promotional material for worldwide distribution.
· Assessed and optimized existing workflow with Python scripts reducing several 2 hour processes into minutes.
· Designed brochures, business cards and signage for small and medium sized businesses.
· Experience in print shop processes and preparing files for output bureaus.
· Named by Business Week magazine as one of the Top 20 Young Tech Entrepreneurs of 2009
· Press coverage of BumpTop in the NY Times, BBC World News, Wall Street Journal, Globe and Mail, ABC, NBC, the prestigious TED conference
· BumpTop is one of the most watched video of software on YouTube ever, over 5.6 million views
· Has filed several UI related patents and often speaks at conferences and universities across North America, Asia and Europe on topics ranging from next generation user interfaces to entrepreneurship
· Awarded $88,000 in graduate scholarships 2006 NSERC PGS D National Scholarship ($63,000), 2005 Ontario Graduate Scholarship ($15,000), 2004 Wolfond Fellowship ($10,000).
· Awarded $18,000 in undergraduate competitive academic scholarships and national research assistantships.
· Interactive Flash Anands Dancing Machine featured on frontpage of CBC ZeD site viewed over 10,000 times.
Produced over 20
short film pieces aired on CBC, NUTV, and at the
Masters of Computer Science Sept 2004 Jan 2006
· Focused studies in HCI, User Interfaces, Interactive Graphics and Computer Animation.
· Thesis Enriching the Desktop Metaphor with Physics, Piles and the Pen.
BSc. Honours in Computer Science, Minor in Art Sept 1999 April 2004
· Focused studies in HCI, Graphics, Computer Animation, Games Programming, Art and Video production.
· Thesis Super Skewer - 3D Graph Interaction for Large Displays.
NUTV New University Television Dec 2003 May 2004
Movie Critic, Production Assistant
· Hosted, filmed and edited weekly movie review show. Coordinated directly with studio representatives.
· Produced over 13 short pieces that aired on the NUTV cable channel and campus closed circuit TV.
· Competitive team sports such as hockey and basketball.
Travel - enjoyed
· Film and video production, hip-hop music creation. Photography prominently featured on wallpaper websites.
Portfolio and Demo Reel at http://honeybrown.ca or on request